So last week I posted the first half of this Q&A and now here are the more random questions!
1. There is a cat that features on both the old cover and the new versions of both of your books. Who is it?
The cat on the cover is ‘Charlie’. She came to us as a sort of ‘rescue cat’ from the home of someone who also owned two small dogs who used to delight in keeping her pinned under the wardrobe most of the time. She and I got on famously and when I was writing she used to try to sit on my lap and watch the words appear on the screen, occasionally even adding her own contribution when she managed to get her paws on the keyboard. She is the inspiration for Miss Charlotte in ‘The Demdike Legacy’ and also appears briefly towards the end of ‘Familiar Territory’. We had her for nine years and although sadly she is no longer with us, occasionally I swear I still catch a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye…
2. If you could cast any actor/actress as the main character in a film version of one of your books, who would you choose?
I think Ben Barnes (Prince Caspian in the Narnia films) would make an excellent Nicholas Demdike. I think I could also see Alex Kingston as Bess Whittle and Karen Gillan as Anne Redfern (although she’d have to dye her hair black.)
3. Yes, it’s another time travel question! If you could travel to any time period and talk to one historical figure, who would you choose and why?
I would love to have a chat with Leonardo da Vinci (if I could speak Italian, that is.) Not so much for his paintings but for his amazing forward-thinking inventions. He must have trod a fine line with the Church authorities.
4. If you had to describe the atmosphere in one of your books with a song, what would you choose?
This is a real toughie. My wife suggested (with tongue in cheek, I hope) ‘That old Black Magic’ or ‘It’s Witchcraft’, but I think I’d go for one of my favourite Dire Straits tracks called ‘Why worry’. D. I. Johnson finds it running through her head towards the end of ‘The Demdike Legacy’.
5. And lastly, if a genie could grant you 3 wishes, what would they be? (you can’t wish for infinite/more wishes!)
Three wishes? What do you go for? World Peace? An end to hunger and suffering? That’s a bit Miss World. I’d take a personal one first: To have enough money to live comfortably for the rest of my days. Second: To give the world’s politicians the wit and intelligence to work for mankind as whole (that should sort out the World Peace, hunger and suffering bit as well.) Third: you said I couldn’t wish for more wishes, so I’ll wish for the ability to give anyone who asks, three wishes…
So that’s all folks! 😛
If you like, comment below with your answers to this last question! What would your three wishes do?